SEO for beginners guide: You have finally decided to launch your online project (or the online version of your “physical” business).
You are going to invest time and money in creating your website, your profiles on social networks, your marketing strategy… but from the first moment you do not stop finding these three letters: SEO.
However, no matter how much you read and read posts, you can’t find out what this is all about.
You know that it is very important for your project, but you are unable to understand how it works. On top of that, everything you read is full of technicalities and terms in English that everyone seems to understand very well… except you.
Have you ever felt that way?
Don’t worry. What you need is to start with the basics and understand why SEO is so important for the success of your website.
So stay tuned, because we have written an SEO tutorial for beginners where we are going to explain:
- What is website ranking.
- The different types of SEO there are (because there is more than one).
- Several of the key ideas that you have to take into account to rank your website.
Do not be scared ahead of time, we assure you that it is not so bad.
SEO for beginners: 7 things you have to know about website ranking
As they say, to understand “C”, you first have to understand “A” and “B”. That’s why we started this SEO guide for beginners from the very basics.
This way you will be able to have a solid understanding of everything that this concept encompasses, and from there, understand what your project needs to rank better.
1. Definition of SEO or Search engine optimization
As you can see, we start at the beginning of the beginning.
SEO means “ Search Engine Optimization”. If you still don’t know very well what this is, don’t worry, for now, every time you hear “SEO”, translate it as “site ranking”.
And that is:
SEO is the set of strategies whose objective is to improve the visibility of a page thanks to enhancing the ranking of a website in search engines.
And this means?
When a person wants to buy something (or contract a service), what does he do? Search for information on Google (the best known search engine, although there are more).
And thanks to that information, you can get to buy or sell.
Imagine you have an interior design company. Well, it turns out that every month, in Spain alone, there are 12,100 people who search Google for “how to decorate a living room”.
But the interesting thing comes now, look at what Google shows when we do that search.
First it shows some videos, and then a tutorial. And do you know whose post that is? From Houzz.
Houzz teaches you how to decorate your room with all its products. Which means that every month, about 12,000 potential customers click on that article. Which, in turn, means that many of them will end up buying.
That is SEO.
Being in the highest position of the keywords that most interest us to attract potential customers.
2. There are two types of SEO (one more interesting than the other)
As soon as you land in the world of SEO you will find these two concepts:
- Off-Page SEO.
- On-Page SEO.
We explain what each one is (we already told you that this is important).
A. Off-Page SEO
Off Page is called the SEO that works external ranking factors to your page (that is, that do not depend on you). And talking about Off Page is talking about link building, about getting external links that point to your page.
Google understands that when a page links to you, it is showing its trust. That is why it is said that links convey authority (which for Google means that you are good and improve your rankings).
It is common to see how many professionals risk buying links to improve their SEO, which is playing Russian roulette with your project.
And it is because Google changes its algorithm (the test it does to determine your rank for each keyword) every so often to detect this type of action.
This means that one day it can change the algorithm, detect that those links are not natural, and lower you from the rankings you have achieved. In fact, there have been cases of websites losing up to 60% of their traffic from one day to the next.
What was working for you before, suddenly, can stop doing it.
We always work strategies that do not violate Google’s policies, so all our clients are more protected against a change in the algorithm.
We love On-Page SEO.
B. On Page SEO
Unlike the previous point, On Page SEO has to do with all the internal factors of a page. That is, all those techniques that are used to optimize our website.
And what is it that works in On Page SEO?
- An intuitive and clear design.
- An optimized content strategy .
- Everything that has to do with a better user experience .
- The web architecture.
As you can see, they are all internal aspects of your project (hence the On Page thing).
3. Keyword research : how to find the most relevant keywords
As we saw at the beginning, in order to improve the SEO strategy of your company, first of all, you have to know which are the most relevant keywords in your sector.
And for that you have to:
- Take into account the different types of keywords that exist.
- How to work them into your sales funnel.
- Don’t forget the importance of long tails keywords.
- Always work in detail the user’s search intention with each keyword.
This is where SEO starts.
Working on your SEO ranking without first doing a good keyword research makes no sense, since you would never know which keywords are going to bring you customers (because don’t forget, it’s not about attracting visitors, but customers).
4. Title and meta description: what are they and why should they be optimized?
And what are these two words?
Well, one of the most important couples in SEO.
The first yellow box is what is known as the title , and the two lines in the blue box are the meta description . We explain what they are:
- Meta title: when Google shows us the results page, it is the title that appears larger and in blue.
- Meta description: they are the two lines that follow and that describe the content that the user will find.
So far everything is clear, but why are they important?
Because they are responsible for attracting the user’s click (what is known as CTR) when they are displayed on the results page. And for Google, the CTR is a very important metric to take into account when ranking a page.
So the higher the CTR, the better the ranking.
If you want to know how to improve your CTR, here is a tutorial with several ideas to get more clicks.
5. Modify URLs to contain the keyword
When we navigate and enter a page, the URL is everything that is in the browser bar, to the right of the name of the web. For example, if you look at this post, its URL is harmonweb.com/blog/seo-for-beginners
And this URL is like the ID of the page.
It is its exact name and what we copy and paste if we want to send that page to someone. But in addition, it also affects SEO.
Some URLs are full of garbled characters and signs. Badly done. On the other hand, if we modify them so that they only include the keyword , it will be easier for Google to understand that you want to rank yourself for that keyword.
It is what is called creating a “friendly” URL for SEO.
6. Harness the (hidden) power of image SEO
There are several aspects to take care of in an image:
- Format: You have two options, JPEG or PNG. The JPEG “weighs” less than a PNG, but its quality is lower, so it is better to use this format for large images or images with many colors. PNG offers higher quality and allows transparent backgrounds, making it ideal for logos.
- Measurements: You should adjust the images in terms of size so that they are not excessively heavy (which can slow down the loading speed). Normally, the width of a post is around 800 pixels.
- Weight: try to make it as low as possible to speed up the loading speed, without the quality suffering excessively. Think that if an image looks blurry you will convey an unprofessional feeling.
And as an additional note related to the optimization of images: in one part it is very easy to make your images load fast, and your website load fast, and that is to hire a high quality server (there are not many).
In this article we leave you the best hosting or servers to accelerate the loading speed of your images and your website , and with a 20% discount.
But in addition, the images have an extra benefit in terms of SEO optimization.
And it is that you can modify an attribute of the image, which is known as an “alt tag”, and place a long tail on it.
Google spiders or bots do read this tag when they enter content, so it helps us to include keywords in the text easily.
7. Create quality content written for SEO
Your website must be optimized to rank, but you must also have a content strategy that helps you rank for informative keywords that attract more potential customers.
But for your posts to rank well, it is good that you take into account several issues:
- Hierarchize the text well: use H2, H3, etc. tags logically.
- Distribute the keywords : the keyword must always appear in the title (H1), the , some H2 and H3 (here the ideal is to include variants) and in the title.
- Write for the reader and not for Google: there is nothing worse than seeing articles that repeat the keyword over and over again, that are poorly written or that do not add any value. The only thing you get in this way is a bad user experience and, therefore, harm site ranking in general.
In the end, quality is what counts, so focus on generating good content aligned with your ideal client, and only apply the basic rules of SEO copywriting.
The rest will come only little by little.
Don’t do beginner SEO
Website ranking is a very important task that implies mastering both strategic and technical issues. Because as we indicated in the SEO Off Page section, an error or a change in the algorithm can sink your rankings.
Therefore, our recommendation is that you have an SEO expert.
Working on the ranking of your project is working on one of your ways of attracting clients , so it is not something that you can leave to chance.
In our agency we not only dominate SEO and web design, but we can also help you with your content and your advertising campaigns.
Do you want us to help you gain potential clients?