SEO for WordPress?
Do you know that WordPress is the best CMS optimized for SEO ?
Yes, as you read it.
The pages that are created on this platform start with an advantage when it comes to ranking.
And if you are here, it is most likely also the CMS with which you have created yours.
And that is what we are going to explain here.
In this post we will tell you all the steps to do SEO in WordPress and fill your website with visits (and customers) every day.
Clever? So we start.
- Why focus on SEO for WordPress?
- 8 SEO for WordPress tips to rank on Google
- The best way to optimize the SEO of your WordPress website…
Why focus on SEO for WordPress?
Before getting into the matter, a clarification: Why do we say that WordPress is the best CMS for SEO?
Well, the reason is in your code.
The way it is designed makes it much easier for Googlebot to move around a website made in WordPress.
Let’s say it’s like building a house on solid ground.
Not to mention that its interface is very intuitive, so it won’t cost you anything to follow the configuration instructions that we are going to give you.
Clarified this, it’s time to start with SEO.
8 SEO for WordPress tips to rank on Google
Ideally, you apply these settings that we are going to explain to you at the beginning, as soon as you install WordPress.
That you already have a web fully assembled and working? Nothing happens.
The only thing is that you are going to have to be more careful to apply some of the points on this list (we will tell you which ones, don’t worry).
Now yes, let’s start.
1. Choose a mobile (and SEO) optimized theme
Templates are predefined designs that you install in WordPress and that give your website a specific appearance.
On sites like Themeforest you can find hundreds of them. But beware, not everyone is worth it.
First of all you have to make sure that the template you choose meets the following conditions:
- Adapted to mobiles: remember that Google penalizes websites that are not responsive , which makes ranking yourself more difficult.
- Make it load fast: a template that is poorly optimized will make your website load more slowly (with the consequences that this entails for SEO and sales ). The best way to find a suitable one is to look at the evaluations of other users.
You can change the template even if you already have the website created, but be careful. When installing the new one, it is likely that some elements will be out of place (images that overflow the screen, texts that lose their size or color).
The best thing is that while you make the change you activate the “Maintenance mode” (but remember to deactivate it when you finish).
2. Set up permalinks
The default settings for links in WordPress are very unfriendly.
For example, you create a blog blog post and the URL is something like this:
That structure is counterproductive for SEO (we’ll explain why later). So the first thing is to change this configuration for a more friendly one.
What you have to do is go to the “Settings> Permanent links” menu and activate the “Post name” option.
This way the pages you create will have URLs like:
Now, it is very important that you take this into account.
If your website already has several pages and/or posts created, you cannot simply change the structure of the URLs.
Imagine that a user had saved a post with one of those URLs ending in ” ?p=123 “.
If you now suddenly change the structure, the link that the user had saved will no longer work.
So when you try to access it you will be met with a 404 error screen .
The same will happen with all the pages and all the posts that you have created until then, so your website will be full of broken links.
And as a consequence Google will give you an SEO penalty .
The only solution is to redirect every old link, but that’s something we recommend leaving to your SEO expert.
3. Plugins yes, but in moderation
Each plugin you install on your website is extra weight that the server has to load. Which means that the more you use, the less loading speed.
“So it’s better not to have any?”
We have not said that.
But the general rule is that you only install those that are strictly necessary, including some for:
- Create the cached version : the cache is a kind of “snapshot” of your website that a user’s browser takes the first time they enter it, and that makes it load faster when they visit it again. For that you have some like WP Fastest Cache or WP Total Cache .
- SEO: There are certain aspects of a page that affect SEO and that WordPress does not allow you to configure by default. In the next point we will see the plugin that we recommend.
- The contact form: among the most used are Ninja Forms and Contact Form 7
Plugins like these are justified. Another thing different would be that you install one only to change the color of the title of the pages, for example, or to optimize the images .
4. Install a good SEO plugin
WordPress is a very complete CMS, but as we said, it has some shortcomings.
For example, by default it does not allow you to edit the titles and meta descriptions of your website pages, which affect both SEO and the click-through rate they receive in search results.
That’s why you need to install an SEO plugin . There are several, but one of the best known (and the one we use) is Yoast SEO .
In addition, this plugin will come in handy for the next two points on the list.
5. Connect analytics tools
You already know that to know if your SEO strategy is working, the only way is to measure it.
For starters, the traffic your website receives. But also other aspects such as:
- What HOW TO RANK FOR COMPETITIVE KEYWORDS IN CONTENT MARKETING“>keywords are you ranking for?
- The conversion rate.
- The dwell time.
These data will be given to you by the analytical tools.
The two fundamental ones are Google Analytics and What is Google Search Console and what is it for?“> Google Search Console , both free.
In addition, it can also help you a lot to have a heat map (which records how users behave within your website).
Yoast SEO allows you to connect these tools to your website in a simple way.
6. Submit your sitemap to Google
The sitemap is a file in which all the pages of your website and the internal links that connect them are reflected .
Its function is simple: it helps the Google bots to understand how to move around your website, which is essential for it to rank itself well in search results.
You do not need to create this file, Yoast SEO itself does it for you.
Once you have it, all you have to do is send it to Google through the specific section that you will find in Search Console.
7. Offer a five-star user experience
By user experience we understand the perception (positive or negative) that a person has after visiting your website.
If that experience is positive, your website will rank itself better and a greater volume of the visits it receives will end up becoming customers.
And if it’s negative… you can imagine it, right?
8. Write for people (but also for robots)
Another concept that we have already told you about, but that you should keep in mind when optimizing your website, is SEO copywriting .
That is, how to write the texts in such a way that:
- Be attractive to users.
- Google understands what keyword you want to rank with each page.
And very briefly, that means:
- That each content is structured in a clear and easy to understand way.
- Include the keyword in the right places, including the HTML headers , the title or the URL (which is why we give so much importance to the fact that the URLs of your website are friendly).
- Respond to the user’s search intent.
These principles apply both to the texts of the main parts of your website ( homepage , sales pages…) and to the posts of your content strategy.
The best way to optimize the SEO of your WordPress website…
It is left to the specialists.
Because you have already seen that it is not about making a couple of technical configurations and expecting Google to give you the traffic.
Building a solid SEO strategy (that constantly brings you potential clients) is not that simple.
And we have been dedicating ourselves to it for years, so we have some idea.
If you prefer to take the safe path and for your website to start generating a constant flow of sales, you just have to contact us and explain your case.
Leave it to us to optimize your website and make it a friend of Google.